Isolate subsets or ‘Segments’ of your overall data set for the purpose of analysis or creating Audiences for remarketing campaigns to create a high ROI remarketing campaign.
Identify the Segment you want to build and decide what subset of data you want to analyse.
- A good place to start is by defining what you want to know, such as how do users who have a high probability of converting behave or engage with the site?
- To answer this question we will build a Segment of ‘Users who have a clear intent to buy’.
Define the conditions for your segment in terms of Google Analytics Dimensions and Metrics.
- Users who have a clear intent to buy could be users who have added items to their wishlist, but not completed a transaction. To see this, you would need to have previously set up a Goal set up to track the engagement ‘Add to Wishlist’
Click the ‘Add Segment’ button to open the segment dashboard.
- Navigate to a report view, such as Aquisition > Channels.
- At the top of the page click on “+ Add Segment”.
Create a Custom Segment.
- To build a custom Segment click ‘+ New Segment’. ‘All Users’ is the Segment that Google Analytics uses by default. You will also see that there are a set of pre-built segments available.
Name the Segment by describing the filtering rule used or by describing the audience that is represented.
- For example, appropriate names for this one would be “Users with No transactions who Added Items to Wishlist” or “Users with clear intent to buy”.
Define the filtering rules.
- We defined ‘Users with a clear intent to buy’ as users who have added items to their wishlist, but not yet completed a purchase.
- Go to the Advanced > Conditions set of filters.
- Select Transactions as the dimension and then set the filter to exclude Users who have completed one or more Transactions.
- Add another filter using the ‘+ Add Filter’ button.
- Select the Goal ‘Add to Wishlist’ completions as the dimension and then set the filter to include Users who have completed one or more Add to Wishlist Goals.